Written by Valentina Romano
Absolutely incredible is the photo shoot realized by Canadian-based photographer, Benjamin Von Wong.
This young artist created a real fantasy shoot featuring 2 models in unique photos, all of which are captured underwater.
Von Wong explains that:
A word that truly begins to mean something when you’re shooting 25 meters underwater and your model tied to a 50 year old shipwreck in the middle of Bali where the slightest miscalculation could spell disaster.
Indeed, the creative production was all set underwater, around an ancient wonderful ship that shipwrecked years ago.
While explaining how the whole project came together, Benjamin says that:
Ever since my first shoot underwater, I’ve been dreaming of taking shoots out of a swimming pool into a shipwreck so when my parents told me to take some time off and go on a vacation in Bali I leaped at the opportunity to put together this shoot.
The photographer continues listing the major challenges that he and his team had to face to put together the shoot:
Everything is more complicated underwater.
- Normal models wouldn’t work unless they had extensive dive training and even then, they wouldn’t have the ability to hold their breaths for very long, especially at depth so Free Divers were going to be required.
- Normal clothes couldn’t be rented since the seawater would wreck them, so we had to find a designer willing to part with the clothing they’d lend us.
- Normal assistants wouldn’t work; specially trained safety divers were going to be necessary to ensure a smooth photo-shoot.
- Scouting would be complicated – local divers would be necessary for us to navigate around the wreck and deal with unpredictable changes in the weather and tide.
- Lighting and gear would be limited – shooting underwater meant that we had to work with what we had available: on camera strobes or natural light.
Surely organizing this photo-shoot must have been incredibly hard and complicated, but we must admit that the results are absolutely unique: no one before performed and showcased shots like those of Benjamin Von Wong, who managed to capture several models gracefully posing 25 meters underwater!
For this, Benjamin could be said to be amongst the best and most fascinating photographers around.
(Photos by Benjamin Von Wong – www.vonwong.com)